Do you remember the name of the teacher who has strongly influenced any of your decisions? Elena Picaso was the teacher who positively influenced Enriqueta’s academic life.
Enriqueta González Baz
In 1944, at 29 years of age, Enriqueta became the first mathematical woman graduated in Mexico from the National School of Engineers, now known as the Faculty of Science of the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM).
- Enriqueta completed postgraduate studies in Pennsylvania at USA
- She was a researcher at the Institute of Physics of the UNAM
- She was a high school teacher at the National Preparatory School
- She taught at the Faculty of Sciences of the UNAM
- She made the Spanish translation of Dr. Salomon Lefschetz’s Topology book
- Simultaneously she studied the bachelor’s degree in Mathematical Physical Sciences and the Teacher career
- In June 1943, Enriqueta, along with other notable mathematics, co-founded the Mexican Mathematical Society
Enriqueta was born in Mexico City on September 22, 1915. Before she enrolled in the National Preparatory School, she had to enter to the Domestic School, a request from her father. During her stay at that school, she obtained knowledge of childcare, cooking and first aid. She also met her teacher Elena Picaso, an author of several books in English, who recommended Enriqueta to continue her Baccalaureate studies and thus begin her journey as she begins her journey as a university student and mathematical professional
Enriqueta died on December 22, 2002, leaving an open door for the next generations of women attracted to the study of mathematics.
Blazquez Norma y Flores Javier (editors) (2005) Ciencia, tecnología y género en Iberoamérica. Centro de Investigaciones Interdisciplinarias en Ciencias y Humanidades, UNAM. Retrieved on September 22, 2019 from: https://books.google.com/books?id=7U2AnYyKXTQC&printsec=frontcover
Matemáticos en México. Matemáticas en el siglo XX. Mujeres pioneras de la Sociedad Matemática Mexicana. UNAM. Retrieved on September 22, 2019 from: https://paginas.matem.unam.mx/matematicos/historia-del-instituto/matematicas-en-el-siglo-xx/869-mujeres-pioneras-de-la-sociedad-matematica-mexica